the ultimate veggie burger
- 55 g rice
- 450 g mushrooms chopped
- 1 can kidney beans drained
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 65 g unsalted cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon oats
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 65 g mature cheddar cheese grated
- 5 brioche buns
- 3 plum tomatoes sliced
- a bag of salad leaves
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Add your rice to a pan, along with just enough water to cover and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, turn down and simmer it gently until cooked. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Put your oven on at 180C. On a baking tray, add the mushrooms along with a good glug of oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes until they have reduced in size by half.
- On another baking tray spread your red kidney beans and roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put a saucepan on a medium heat. Cook off the onion and garlic with a touch of oil until soft. Allow to cool.5) In a food processor, pulse the cashew nuts and oats.
- In a food processor, pulse the cashew nuts and oats.
- In a big bowl, whisk 2 big tablespoons of mayonnaise, egg yolk, miso paste, paprika, along with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add to the wet mixture the cashew nuts and oats, onions and garlic, roasted red kidney beans, mushrooms and brown rice. Mash with a potato masher until sticky. Stir in the grated cheese and taste the mixture to check the seasoning. Shape the mixture into patties.
- Put a pan on a high heat. When you’re ready to grill, add a touch of oil to the pan, then sear your patties; cook until dark on both sides.
- Make your sauce by mixing equal quantities of sriracha and mayo, then assemble your burgers; slather some sriracha mayo on your brioche buns, add some tomato slices and salad leaves, and top with a veggie patty.
Sodium: 691mgCalcium: 177mgVitamin C: 16mgVitamin A: 1678IUSugar: 5gFiber: 3gPotassium: 602mgCholesterol: 198mgCalories: 674kcalTrans Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 16gFat: 40gProtein: 21gCarbohydrates: 62gIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!