mac cheese toastie
What a treat a mac cheese toastie is! These beauties went down a storm at my American campfire supper club with @the.copy.club last year. You take a seductively rich mac and cheese, spread it thickly on toast and grill until bubbling for a carb overload. The kind of food you'll eat and need a nap after.
- 40 g macaroni pasta
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 0.5 pint of milk
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 25 g mature cheddar cheese
- 25 g parmesan cheese
- 50 g cream cheese
- Dijon mustard
- thick white sliced bread
- salt and pepper
- Put a large saucepan on a medium heat and melt the butter. When it's foaming, add the plain flour and cook out for a couple of minutes.
- Add the milk, a little at a time and beat through the butter-flour mixture well. The mixture will seize up to begin with but don't stress! Mix well and keep adding until the milk is incorporated and you have a smooth sauce. Season with salt, pepper and a big tablespoon of Dijon mustard. Take off the heat and keep warm.
- Grate the cheddar and parmesan. Add to your white sauce, along with the cream cheese. Allow everything to melt and become smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning (or add more cheese!) until it's perfect.
- Meanwhile bring another saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook your macaroni until almost cooked; you still want a bit of bite. Fold your macaroni into the cheese sauce and allow to cool.
- Toast two slices of bread. Spread a thick layer of mac and cheese into one slice of toast, top with a final grating of parmesan and pop under a hot grill until golden. Lay on the second slice of toast, cut in half and serve. Make time for a nap after.
Sodium: 1209mgCalcium: 888mgVitamin C: 1mgVitamin A: 2130IUSugar: 18gFiber: 4gPotassium: 641mgCholesterol: 176mgCalories: 1024kcalTrans Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 16gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 37gFat: 63gProtein: 38gCarbohydrates: 78gIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!