vegan chocolate mousse
This cracking recipe for a vegan chocolate mousse is from the great mind of Lucy from @loveoggs, a brilliant start-up business that makes wonderful things with aquafaba (aka chickpea water!). This mousse is light as air, but made without any egg white at all! A wicked alternative when catering for vegans, but delicious enough for everyone.
- 50 g cashews soaked
- 75 ml dairy free milk
- 1.5 tablespoon maple syrup
- 50 g dark chocolate chopped up
- 37.5 g OGGS aquafaba
- 0.25 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoon caster sugar
- Soak the cashews overnight in 100ml of cold water. If you’re in a rush, you can soak them in warm-hot water for 2 hours. Drain them once they’re soft.
- Simmer the milk on a low heat and add the maple syrup after five minutes and take off the heat. Add the dark chocolate into the hot mixture and continuously stir until it melts. This will ensure it doesn’t burn!
- Add the chocolate mixture to the drained cashews and blend together until the mixture is silky smooth. Leave aside for the mixture to be 100% cooled down.
- In this time, whisk your OGGS Aquafaba ‘til you reach stiff peaks. At this point, add your cream of tartar and caster sugar and continue whisking until the mixture is thick and glossy and doesn’t shift in the bowl. Once you’re happy the chocolate mixture is completely cool, fold it into the OGGS Aquafaba with a large metal spoon, without over mixing.
- Distribute into shallow mousse dishes and pop in the fridge for them to set.
- Garnish with toppings, we did smashed up Crunchie with raspberries OR bashed up mint with sugar in a pestle and mortar.
Calories: 785kcalCarbohydrates: 85gProtein: 15gFat: 45gSaturated Fat: 16gPolyunsaturated Fat: 5gMonounsaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 57mgPotassium: 985mgFiber: 7gSugar: 59gVitamin A: 314IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 193mgIron: 10mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!