oklahoma smash burger
The @chubbyfellowlondon himself taught me this recipe for Oklahoma smash burgers. It's an interesting twist on the classic smash burger you don't often see in the UK; You lay sliced raw onion onto the beef patty as it cooks, so in the end you have a mix of charred and raw onion as the topping. Such an interesting technique and it pays off. Massively.
- 250 g beef mince
- 0.5 white onion
- burger buns
- American cheese slices
- American mustard
- garlic powder
- a handful of gherkins finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- First make your burger sauce. Combine equal quantities of mayo, ketchup and American mustard in a bowl. Mix in your chopped gherkins along with a pinch of salt, pepper and garlic powder. Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Put a frying pan on a medium-high heat. In a bowl season your mince with salt and pepper, then break up and shape into four equal-sized balls.
- When your pan is hot, add a touch of oil then add two of the balls to the pan. Immediately top each mince ball with a handful of slice onions and smash down with a spatula until the burger patty is flat. Using a piece of greaseproof paper between the spatula and patty is a good tip to prevent things sticking!
- Char on one side for a couple of minutes. You want to form a good crust! It's fine if the onions fall into the pan and crisp up (in fact I encourage it). When you're ready, flip the patty and lay on a slice of cheese. Cover the pan with a lid and turn the heat down slightly to melt the cheese.
- Slice and toast your buns, then you're ready to plate! Start with a good amount of burger sauce, followed by one (or two!) cheesy patties. Finish with some more burger sauce and the top bun. Heaven.
Sodium: 1278mgCalcium: 158mgVitamin C: 6mgVitamin A: 186IUSugar: 9gFiber: 3gPotassium: 892mgCholesterol: 185mgCalories: 943kcalTrans Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 28gPolyunsaturated Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 22gFat: 67gProtein: 49gCarbohydrates: 32gIron: 7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!