shakshuka with crispy chickpeas
This is my take on the classic breakfast dish shakshuka: a spicy tomato sauce dish with baked eggs. I've had this main a time in a bougie brunch place in the Lower East Side, so I thought I'd do my version. I roasted a slab of chorizo in the oven with a can of chickpeas, which formed the perfect crispy garnish! Give this one a go guys (for brunch or brinner); I made this the first time round with the wonderful @brunchinpairs last summer!Originally posted on @feedingspeedy Instagram here
- 0.5 can chopped tomatoes
- 0.5 onion finely diced
- 0.5 red pepper finely diced
- 1 garlic cloves minced
- 0.25 stick of chorizo
- 0.5 can chickpeas drained
- ground cumin
- smoked paprika
- chili flakes
- a bunch parsley roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp yoghurt plain
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C. Split a stick of chorizo in half lengthways and place on a baking tray, along with your chickpeas. Season everything with salt, pepper, a pinch of paprika and olive oil. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes until crispy.
- Meanwhile put a deep frying pan with a lid (or saucepan) onto a medium heat. Add a touch of oil, followed by the onion, pepper, garlic, and a teaspoon each of all your spices. Cook down for 5 minutes or so until soft.
- Next, add your chopped tomatoes and half a can of water. Add some salt and pepper to taste, then bring to the boil. When boiling, put the lid on and turn down the pan to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning. When you're ready for brunch, crack a couple of eggs into the sauce and cover. Cook for a couple of minutes until just set.
- To serve, dish up your shakshuka into bowls, finishing with a slab of roasted chorizo, a scattering of chickpeas and parsley.
Sodium: 323mgCalcium: 135mgVitamin C: 100mgVitamin A: 2146IUSugar: 12gFiber: 4gPotassium: 668mgCholesterol: 6mgCalories: 453kcalMonounsaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gFat: 2gProtein: 5gCarbohydrates: 20gIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!