Aubergine Katsu Curry
This dish is outrageous. It tastes amazing, can be made completely vegan (just swap the egg out for aquafaba aka chickpea water) and tastes almost exactly like the restaurants (sorry Wagamama). Make this once and you won't look back✌️
- 2 BIG Aubergines sliced into thick 2cm rounds
- 100 grams Flour
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- 100 grams Breadcrumbs (panko breadcrumbs ideally)
- 1 BIG Onion Finely chopped
- 2 Carrots Finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves Crushed
- Ginger Thumb-size, grated
- 500 ml Vegetable Stock
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 3 tsp Curry Powder
- 2 tsp Plain Flower
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Honey
- Coriander Bunch, chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Cooked Rice To serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Dust your aubergine rounds with flour. In one bowl crack two eggs and lightly beat them. In another bowl, add the breadcrumbs with a sprinkle of garam masala, salt and pepper.
- Take the floured aubergine, dip both sides in the egg, then dip into the breadcrumb mixture. Pat the breadcrumbs onto the aubergine so they stick. Transfer to an oiled baking tray and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, turn, then back for a final 10 minutes until golden on both sides.
- Meanwhile make the curry sauce; put a saucepan on a medium heat. Add a touch of oil, the onion, garlic, carrots and ginger, and cook slowly for 10 minutes until soft. Add the flour, bay leaves and curry powder, and cook out for a couple of minutes.
- Next, add the veg stock, stirring frequently so you don't get lumps, along with the vinegar, soy sauce and honey. Bring to the boil, turn down and simmer for 10 minutes or so until thickened. I like to blitz half the sauce in the blender so it's a bit smoother, but you can leave as is if you like.
- Stir in the coriander and check the seasoning; you may need some more pepper and a sprinkle of garam masala.
- Serve the aubergine slices with rice and a generous spoonful of sauce.
Serving: 4gCalories: 267kcalCarbohydrates: 46gProtein: 11gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 1492mgPotassium: 266mgFiber: 4gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 5498IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 85mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!