First Instagram Live: DONE! Well that was fun, especially when my phone died in the middle. Cheers for watching like and subscribe (genuinely want to see me do this again? Post recipe suggestions in the comments 🎥) Serves 4, takes 30 minutes
400g pasta (macaroni is perfect but others work fine)
1 pint whole milk
Mustard (ideally English @colmansuk)
400g mushrooms, cut into thick slices
Dried rosemary (any other mixed herb will do)
Salt and pepper
Cream cheese (optional)
1) Put a big saucepan of salted water on to boil for your pasta. Put another saucepan on a low heat. Add the milk, a spoonful of Marmite and mustard, the butter and a good grind of pepper.
2) Bring the milk to a gentle simmer, then add the cheese in stages, leaving about 50g (we will use this later). Let the cheese melt slowly, the slower it melts, the smoother your sauce will be at the end. It should take about 10 minutes to melt completely. Don’t worry if it’s looks a bit loose, it will thicken up later! Set aside and keep warm.
3) Put your pasta on and cook until al dente. Meanwhile make your toppings, first put a frying pan on a high heat. MEAT TOPPING: take the sausages out their skins and crumb into the pan. Add a splash of olive oil, salt, pepper, a teaspoon each of chilli flakes and dried rosemary. Allow the sausage to crisp up on one side, the break up with your wooden spoon and flip over; you want lots of crispy bits! VEGGIE TOPPING: smash a garlic clove with the back of your knife, and add whole to the pan, along with the mushrooms, a splash of olive oil, salt, pepper and a sprinkle of dried rosemary.
4) When your pasta is cooked, drain it, then add half of your cheese sauce (the rest you can save for another day). Mix, add your reserved grated cheese, and a spoonful of cream cheese if it’s still looking a little thin.
5) Divide the mac n cheese into bowls, and top with your crispy mushrooms or sausage bits.