A throwback to deliciousness. Inspired by the ritual of doing a tequila shot, this pie went down a STORM at my Mexican pop-up, so I thought I’d share the recipe. Now, it doesn’t necessarily count as a wholesome work prep lunch, but I figured you guys wouldn’t mind 😛 📷@pnzg@foodtryb
Takes 30 minutes to prepare, enough for 8 slices
4 large free range egg yolks
1 x 400g tin of condensed milk
2 x lemons
3 x limes
1 x pack of digestive biscuits
6 tablespoons of melted butter
5 tablespoons of runny honey
A splash of good quality tequila like @patron
A small tub of creme fraiche
1) Pre-heat your oven to 180C. In a big mixing bowl crush up the biscuits with a rolling pin so they resemble breadcrumbs. Add the butter, honey and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
2) Grease a 9-inch pie dish with some butter, then pour the crumb mixture into the dish, pressing it down flat to form an even crust on the bottom.
3) In a separate bowl combine the egg yolks, condensed milk, the zest and juice of 2 lemons and 2 limes. Pour into the pie dish and bake for 20 minutes, until set. Take out of the oven and allow to cool completely.
4) To make the lime salt, combine the zest of a lime with flaky salt. For the tequila cream fold a shot of tequila into the small tub of creme fraiche; you should be able to taste the tequila without it overwhelming!
5) Serve a healthy slice of pie with a dollop of tequila cream and sprinkle of lime salt.