While we’re all at home, and probably have a bit more time to cook, I thought I’d share something a bit different. Lots of my friends are holed up with their partners, so why not cook up a date-worthy dish one evening? This recipe is a total dream: Juicy salmon, crispy potatoes, delicious cream sauce. Because even if you’re stuck at home, it doesn’t mean you can’t have a fancy meal for two. This dish is extra special for me (it’s the first one I cooked @gemma.kenny.14 🙃) Enjoy it!
Serves 2, takes 45 mins
2 salmon fillets, skin on
2 baking potatoes, cut into 1cm cubes
1 red onion, finely diced
A couple sticks of celery, finely diced
A big handful of spinach
A large glass of white wine
A splash of double cream (creme fraiche or plain yogurt also works)
A bunch of parsley, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1) Pre-heat your oven to 200C. Toss your cubed potatoes in olive oil, a sprinkle of dried rosemary, salt and pepper. Throw on a roasting tray and roast for 25-30 minutes until crisp and cooked through.
2) Meanwhile, put a frying pan on a medium heat. Season your fish on both sides. When the pan is up to temperature, add a touch of olive oil and add your fish skin side down. You want to hear it sizzle! It’s really important to not touch the fish now; you should let it cook the majority skin side down. You’ll be able to see the fish cook by looking at the colour change on the side. Once the colour change reaches about half way, turn the fish over and switch the hob off; the residual heat in the pan will cook the fish, trust me! Cook flesh side down for 2 minutes, then leave somewhere warm to rest on a plate while you make the sauce.
3) In the pan you cooked the fish in, add your onions and celery, cooking for 5 mins or so until soft. Add your wine, a handful of capers, and the spinach, before putting a lid on and letting everything cook for 5 mins.
4) Add the cream to the sauce, along with a grating of lemon zest. Taste to check the seasoning.
5) Serve the salmon on top of the veg with the potatoes, sauce and a wedge of 🍋