I had some leftover pastry in the fridge this week (@roseannaellenbrown wanted pecan pie) so I’ve had pie on the brain. Chicken and mushroom is a @liz.speed special, all I’ve done is add some more veg. The roasted shallots are worth it, trust me Mum! The ideal work lunch when summer is rainy and not acting like summer.
Takes 60 minutes, makes 4 work lunches
1 600g pack of skinless chicken thighs, cubed
1 250g pack of chestnut mushooms, cubed
1 500g pack of spinach
150g shallots, peeled and left whole
1 big onion, finely chopped
3 sticks of celery, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
A handful of picked thyme leaves
400g veg stock
A tablespoon of plain flour
A big glass of white wine
A big spoonful of English mustard
A big spoonful of plain yoghurt
1 pack of @jus_rol pastry (you can make your own but honestly don’t bother)
Salt and pepper
1) Pre heat the oven to 180C. Put the shallots in a deep tray, add a splash of water and olive oil, season, then wrap the tray tightly in foil. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the shallots are soft. Set aside.
2) Meanwhile put a saucepan on a medium heat. Cook slowly the onion, celery, garlic for 10 minutes until soft. Season well, then add the mushrooms and thyme, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3) Add the flour and cook out for 2 minutes, before adding the white wine and veg stock. Bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the mustard, yoghurt and spinach to wilt.
4) In the tray you cooked the shallots in lay the chicken thighs and season well. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, then add to your pie filling.
5) Transfer the pie filling to the deep tray, lay over the pastry and bake in the oven for a final 20 minutes.