Happy #veganuary gang! As has become my new year ritual, I’m being vegan for the whole of January. It’s been a rollercoaster already (day 1 food poisoning is definitely not the best start 😫) but I’ve been enjoying as ever knocking myself out of my rhythm and embracing a new approach to food. This pasta recipe has quickly become a favourite; a tweaked recipe from my boy @jamieoliver, soft aubergines pair beautifully with a sweet tomato sauce, spiked with capers and parsley. It’s somehow fresh and comforting at the same time, and absolutely does not need the addition of cheese (although non-vegans are welcome to add 😊)
Takes 45 minutes, makes 4 work lunches
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 aubergines, cubed
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 big handful of parsley, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon of capers
500g pasta (I used macaroni for this)
Salt and pepper
1) Put a saucepan on a medium heat. Add a good glug of olive oil along with the onion and garlic. Turn the heat to low and cook slowly for 15 minutes until soft.
2) Add the tomatoes, capers, a pinch of sugar, salt and pepper to the onion mixture. Bring to the boil,cover and turn down the heat to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
3) Put another saucepan on a medium heat. Add a good glug of olive oil and add in the aubergine. You want there to be enough space in the pan for one even layer. Allow the aubergine to cook and soften for 5-10 minutes then transfer to a plate. Repeat until you’ve cooked all the aubergine.
4) Add the aubergines to the tomato sauce, along with a splash of water.
5) Cook the pasta in salted boiling water according to the packets instructions. Fold the pasta through the sauce, along with the parsley and a good glug of olive oil before serving. You need a nice amount of olive oil in the sauce, so it still takes good throughout the week!